freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:13:33 -0600

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 10:54:21PM -0800, Frank M. Kromann wrote:

> > On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:00:03PM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:

> > > I had been thinking about this since I put in the --enable-msdblib
> > > option
> > > in. We could make the dbdaterec structure hold the values for both
> > > sybase
> > > and msdblib names and then dbdatecrack can fill in both values, great
> > > for
> > > source compatibility with both and if we put the sybase stuff first in
> > > the
> > > structure, binary compat should be no problem (assuming we are shooting
> > > for sybase binary compatibility, which is really the only option on
> > > *nix
> > > platforms). Anyway, point is we could remove the --enable-msdblib
> > > option
> > > entirely.

> > That sounds like a good idea to me; then PHP can just check for
> > whichever structure member it prefers to use at compile time, and build
> > accordingly.

> I like this idea too, but I guess I still need a way to know if I'm
> building against Sybase libs or FreeTDS. I don't know much about Sybase
> libs, but the file names for headers and libs are the same as those used
> for FreeTDS ? Is there any defines that I can use to check this ?

Not meaning to be impertinent, but: why do you need to know if you're
building against FreeTDS or Sybase? I think it's more accurate to say
that you need to know which behavior pattern the underlying libs exhibit:
i.e., if you test for a Microsoft-specific member name in the struct
using autoconf, this should be enough to say that you're using a
Microsoft-*like* library, as opposed to a Sybase-*like* library.

The autoconf mantra is, "check for features, not for platforms".

It's a safe bet that the Sybase headers look quite a bit like the FreeTDS
ones in this case. On the dblib side, I gather the libs are also
congruent.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer