freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 22:14:05 -0600

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:00:03PM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:

> I had been thinking about this since I put in the --enable-msdblib option
> in. We could make the dbdaterec structure hold the values for both sybase
> and msdblib names and then dbdatecrack can fill in both values, great for
> source compatibility with both and if we put the sybase stuff first in the
> structure, binary compat should be no problem (assuming we are shooting
> for sybase binary compatibility, which is really the only option on *nix
> platforms). Anyway, point is we could remove the --enable-msdblib option
> entirely.

That sounds like a good idea to me; then PHP can just check for
whichever structure member it prefers to use at compile time, and build
accordingly.

I'm afraid we won't be able to get rid of the MSDBLIB option entirely,
as it appears people have found this useful in other parts of the code
as well. As for binary compatibility, it would be good if this change
made the cut for 0.61: changing the structure size still implies some
incompatibility, so it would be nice to get this change in for a release
where we're already bumping the soname.

BTW, would it be worthwhile to use a set of defines or anonymous unions
within the struct? It would save space and simplify the code a little
bit, I think; there's really no reason to keep two sets of values for
those elements that have the same semantics between Sybase and MS.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer