freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:01:05 -0600

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:35:21PM -0800, Frank M. Kromann wrote:

> > Because DBDATEREC is a public structure, any size changes are also a
> > binary-incompatible change. If two separate month fields are to be
> > included (a minimum requirement if we're providing both sets of
> > semantics), an ABI change is unavoidable.

> Chanching this structure or getting rid of --enable-msdblib, is not
> required (IMHO).

As a sharedlib purist, I have to disagree. Though we've mostly glossed
over it up to this point, the truth is that we are currently shipping two
incompatible ABIs -- MS and Sybase -- using the same library soname. So
someone can take a binary compiled on one machine and install it on a
machine where freetds was compiled with different options, and it might
not work: an increasingly serious problem as FreeTDS becomes more mature
and more widespread.

> What I'm looking for is a way to configure the client (PHP) to behave
> the same agains different libraries. And with FreeTDS returning two
> different structures and values depending on compile options it would
> be nice to be able to have the client code handle this transparent for
> the PHP user.

Better to not have different structures and values returned depending on
compile options, if possible. :-)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer