freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Frank M. Kromann" <frank AT kromann.info>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with datetime from a MS SQL Server
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 22:54:21 -0800

> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:00:03PM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:
>
> > I had been thinking about this since I put in the --enable-msdblib
option
> > in. We could make the dbdaterec structure hold the values for both
sybase
> > and msdblib names and then dbdatecrack can fill in both values, great
for
> > source compatibility with both and if we put the sybase stuff first in
the
> > structure, binary compat should be no problem (assuming we are
shooting
> > for sybase binary compatibility, which is really the only option on
*nix
> > platforms). Anyway, point is we could remove the --enable-msdblib
option
> > entirely.
>
> That sounds like a good idea to me; then PHP can just check for
> whichever structure member it prefers to use at compile time, and build
> accordingly.

I like this idea too, but I guess I still need a way to know if I'm
building against Sybase libs or FreeTDS. I don't know much about Sybase
libs, but the file names for headers and libs are the same as those used
for FreeTDS ? Is there any defines that I can use to check this ?

> I'm afraid we won't be able to get rid of the MSDBLIB option entirely,
> as it appears people have found this useful in other parts of the code
> as well. As for binary compatibility, it would be good if this change
> made the cut for 0.61: changing the structure size still implies some
> incompatibility, so it would be nice to get this change in for a
release
> where we're already bumping the soname.

Agreed. Getting rid of --enable-msdblib might be a good idea, but knowing
if it was used or not is more important for the clients (IMHO).

- Frank