freetds - RE: [freetds] freetds in win32

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Coleman, Dave" <DColeman AT US.TIAuto.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] freetds in win32
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:04:01 -0500

Does this necessarily need to be an ODBC driver? I would think that you
could define entry/exit points to the freetds.dll, register them, then use
VC++ to create a custom ODBC driver which would contain Driver Manager
hooks. This driver could import functions from freetds.dll if this file is
properly registered as a system component. I'm not an expert on these
matters, although; even if this might need an interface level or two, I
don't think that the Win32 architecture would prevent it from being
implemented.

Keep in mind, ODBC is close and dear to Microsoft's heart. When you talk
about manually tapping into ODBC, you need to consider the fact that
Microsoft does not want just anybody to do this. A correctly written,
mallicious ODBC driver can be very destructive if it wants to be.

I think the key to setting freetds.dll up as a ODBC driver is to hide
freetds.dll from the operating system. I can't think of the type of
component you want to create, but I know you can "pass through" to/from
freetds.dll to the Driver manager via a "standard" MS-supported API (if you
provide registered entry/exit points to freetds.dll in the code and register
them with regsvr32...)

I'm sorry I don't know more specifics. Hopefully someone with more nuts and
bolts Win32 knowledge will see this and fill in my blanks...