freetds - Re: [freetds] The old MSSQL from Linux...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] The old MSSQL from Linux...
  • Date: 29 Jan 2003 22:39:34 +0100

Il mer, 2003-01-29 alle 22:04, Poulson, Shawn ha scritto:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to do the near impossible... access MSSQL from a Linux box.
> This is one of the most frustrating things I've ever done in Linux.
> Recompiling the kernel is easier than this.

What I do every day :)

> I've read quite a bit and attempted this a few times. I read up on
> freetds.org, iodbc.org, and CPAN perl modules DBD::Sybase and DBD::ODBC.
>
> I can compile and install FreeTDS fine, but I cannot get the DBD::Sybase or
> DBD::ODBC to install correctly.
>
> For DBD::Sybase I did EXACTLY as the POD doc tells me to, and the 'make
> test' portion fails miserably on some error.
>
> For DBD::ODBC it keeps thinking I'm using udbc, eventhough I've set SYBASE
> and ODBCHOME to /usr/local/freetds. If I try a make anyway, it fails
> trying to link to -ludbc.

ODBC is not still complete.

My test with DBD::ODBC

# export SYBASE=$HOME/install
(I configured and installed FreeTDS with this prefix)
# tar zxvf DBD-ODBC-0.43.tar.gz
# cd DBD-ODBC-0.43
# export DBI_DSN=dbi:ODBC:local
# export DBI_PASS=mypassword
# export DBI_USER=sa
# export ODBCHOME=/usr
(using unixODBC 2.2 from RPM, RedHat 7.2)
# make
# make test
Failed Test Status Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------t/03dbatt.t
115 29440 9 4 44.44% 6-9
t/07bind.t 9 3 33.33% 4, 6, 8
1 test skipped.
Failed 2/7 test scripts, 71.43% okay. 7/50 subtests failed, 86.00% okay.

As stated ODBC is not complete (most of error came from bind and date
and other problem like changing AutoCommit in a transaction)

DBD-Sybase-0.94 say

Failed Test Status Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
t/exec.t 9 1 11.11% 9
t/fail.t 13 2 15.38% 9-10
t/main.t 14 2 14.29% 13-14
t/xblob.t 0 139 ?? ?? % ??
13 subtests skipped.
Failed 4/9 test scripts, 55.56% okay. 5/63 subtests failed, 92.06% okay.

I understand that nor DBD-Sybase nor DBD-ODBC pass all test but you need
all test to pass? Many test rely on strange construction still not
implemented but very useful function work correctly (select, insert and
other without strange bindings work , RPC and other esoteric stuff not
work in all libraries)

I hope this help...

bye