freetds - RE: [freetds] The old MSSQL from Linux...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] The old MSSQL from Linux...
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:18:33 -0500

Shawn,

IIRC, placeholders are only partly done in ct-lib, which is what DBD::Sybase
uses. If they work at all, you definitely would need a recent snapshot of
FreeTDS, and DBD::Sybase 0.95.

I don't find any thing in ChangeLog or TODO, but ct_send_dyn() is more than
a mere stub. There's no unit test, leading me to think Freddy (?) isn't
done with it.

The DBI error message regarding TDS 5.0 isn't accurate. It should say you
can't use placeholders with TDS 4.2. You absolutely cannot use TDS 5.0 with
Microsoft servers (well, you *can*, if you install Microsoft's patch, on
some servers, but whether that would support placeholders is anyone's
guess). We have some placeholder functionality working, and *only* on TDS
7.0+.

You might want to check the ML archives since November.

An alternative is DBD::ODBC, since placeholders are somewhat functional in
our ODBC driver. But that has other drawbacks.

We should update the TODO to reflect the status accurately.

out such orders and/or instructions.