freetds - RE: [freetds] Some tds_* functions have changed in the last several weeks???

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Some tds_* functions have changed in the last several weeks???
  • Date: 11 Dec 2002 23:02:06 +0100

Il mer, 2002-12-11 alle 22:39, Harrison, Bruce (CXO) ha scritto:
> Hello James,
>
> I'm still getting warnings during the build of tds. This is a
> different issue. These are errors that are being displayed by the
> compiler when I'm compiling my code (that uses the tds_* functions).
> They are due to my code having 7 parameters to a function (based on the
> tds.h file from Nov 22) and the current definition of the function (in
> the tds.h file) now only has 6. Here is an example:
>
> Error 181: "feeder.c", line 421 # Expected 6 argument(s) for "int
> tds_convert(tds_context *,int,const char *,unsigned
> int,int,conv_result *)"; had 7 instead.
>
> Please don't mis-understand me on this. I'm very happy to be using
> freetds and am very pleased with the responses to my questions posted to
> this list! Although I've been coding for many years, I'm still a bit
> new to this "open source" paradigm and was a little surprised when the
> function definitions changed when the version didn't. I have no problem
> changing my code to match the definitions in the current tds.h and
> tdsconvert.h files.
>
> Have a Great Day!

Not a open source problem...
Most open source project have a public stable interface (like Gnome) that is
used for all major version.
Personally I don't like extreme backward portability... you carry on even bad
design (do you think that x86 platform is good for nowadays computer??)...
In FreeTDS we mantain the public library (ODBC, dblib and ctlib) but libtds
is suitable to change without problem.
Similar role apply also to Linux Kernel... but for avoid performance penalty..