freetds - Noob to FreeTDS and connectivity to MS SQL 6.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Andrew Schott" <schotty AT wi.rr.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Noob to FreeTDS and connectivity to MS SQL 6.5
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:37:32 -0400

Hello!

I use an MS SQL 6.5 Server at work here, and would like to get my RedHat 8
box to connect to it to do my queries and soforth that my Windows
partition does. I read thru the tuturial in the user handbook on creating
the freetds.conf and such, however I dont think that I am using a tcp
connection. It appears that I am using piped connections. How do I do
this? Or am I not even close?

I use the following:
[aschott@system11 etc]$ /usr/local/freetds/bin/tsql -H amerivoice4 -p 1433
-U saPassword:
There was a problem connecting to the server
[aschott@system11 etc]$ telnet amerivoice4 1433
Trying 206.190.6.248...
telnet: connect to address 206.190.6.248: Connection refused
[aschott@system11 etc]$

So, that is why I feel that the tcp is not right. On the Windows box next
to me, I see that in the connection properties in the ODBC manager,
\amerivoice4\pipe\sql\query as the pipe name, and it is using pipes not
tcp/ip.

Is there a good resource that perhaps I missed when looking for info?