freetds - RE: Noob to FreeTDS and connectivity to MS SQL 6.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Noob to FreeTDS and connectivity to MS SQL 6.5
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 17:04:53 -0400

You're quite right, Andrew. I happen to still have the 6.5 docs installed,
and the default installation listens for named pipe connections only. In
Books Online, SQL Server Setup, Chapter 3, Network Support, it says:

"By default, SQL Server listens on the standard pipe, \\.\pipe\sql\query,
for named pipe connections. You can change the pipe name. You can also drop
named pipe support and set SQL Server to listen only on other
Net-Libraries."

Your test below is exactly right. The solution is to add TCP/IP Sockets to
your server set up. That's something your DBA can do, although he might be
reluctant.

Regards,

--jkl

> I use the following:
> [aschott@system11 etc]$ /usr/local/freetds/bin/tsql -H
> amerivoice4 -p 1433
> -U saPassword:
> There was a problem connecting to the server
> [aschott@system11 etc]$ telnet amerivoice4 1433
> Trying 206.190.6.248...
> telnet: connect to address 206.190.6.248: Connection refused
> [aschott@system11 etc]$
>
> So, that is why I feel that the tcp is not right. On the
> Windows box next
> to me, I see that in the connection properties in the ODBC manager,
> \amerivoice4\pipe\sql\query as the pipe name, and it is using
> pipes not tcp/ip.

original message. Please note that for certain accounts we do not accept
orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and for those accounts we will not be
responsible for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. Kindly refrain
from sending orders or instructions by e-mail unless you have confirmed that
we accept such communications for your account. Please also note that to
satisfy regulatory requirements we review the outgoing and incoming e-mail
correspondence of staff members serving certain functions.