freetds - Re: 0.60.1 needs rpm and deb

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 0.60.1 needs rpm and deb
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:19:37 -0500

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 01:43:06PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:06:39 -0500, "Steve Langasek"
> <vorlon AT netexpress.net> wrote:

> > Hmm, I don't know how useful it is to our Debian users to have .debs
> > posted on sourceforge or ibiblio; one of the great joys of Debian is
> > being able to "apt-get install" all the software you'll ever need. :)

> Er, um, nevermind. No, I don't think .debs have to be on ibiblio. I was
> just taking a stab at being helpful, that's all.

> I was delaying tagging until you and Frediano were of one mind about the
> suitability of BRANCH0_60. Since you've released the debs, I'll tag it as
> R0_601.

> Frediano (rumored to be out of town this weekend but recently spotted at
> the keyboard, a sad indication of a fast-spreading addiction to FreeTDS)
> wants to apply a few bugfixes or something to the BRANCH0_60. When he's
> done, there'll be yet another tag, R0_602, and a 0.60.2 release & RPM.

> I'm stating all this factually for clarity. Nothing is fixed in stone; we
> can do anything. My opinion? I understand the version number changes,
> hence the reason for 0.60.1, and I'm glad to see FreeTDS finding its way
> to Debian. I'm not clear about what other things Frediano wants to add to
> 0.60.2 (if there is to be one). OTOH, as Frediano is doing the RPM builds
> (not to mention the work), I'd just as soon accomodate him. I'd rather
> not see too many of these nanoreleases, though. It's confusing to the
> casual observer, and it looks like we're being sloppy when in fact we're
> being fastidious.

Oh, sorry -- I assumed that the presence of a tarball on iBiblio *did*
mean that things were fixed in stone. I try to avoid ever having more
than one version of a tarball running around the Internet with the same
version number on it, so I figured that published is published. :/

Depending on what all needs changing, I may just skip the 0.60.2 release
as far as Debian is concerned, so I can focus instead on getting ready
for 0.61.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer