freetds - Re: prerelease delayed by documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: prerelease delayed by documentation
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:20:19 -0400

> Thanks Brian, that's exactly the right place! I started hacking at that
> part and ended up with the attached diff. It's not *right* but it
> causes things to work much better. If someone who understands the code
> can make similar but more appropriate changes, that would go a long way
> toward fixing this.
>
> I have two more challenges. I wans't able to get a hack to work for the
> TEXT datatype. I still get in the tdsdump.log file:
>
> 2002-09-04 13:02:44 processing row. column is 7 varint size =3D 4
> 2002-09-04 13:02:44 processing row. column size is 532=20
> 2002-09-04 13:02:44 clearing column 7 NULL bit
> convert_tds2sql: src is 35 dest =3D 1
> convert_tds2sql: outputting character data destlen =3D 81
>
> It's trying to force a 532 character long TEXT field into a destlen of
> 81. I couldn't figure out why.

I'll try to take a look at this tomorrow. I'll at least write up a
unittest for it. Jim's cracking the whip though, so we'll see how far we
can go here. If not, I predict a quick 0.61pre1 to address these.

ODBC has long been the bastard stepchild, and about the only way to fix
that is going to be a solid set of unittests and an active maintainer.
We've had a lot of people roll through the ODBC code but no one says for
long.

If you want the job it's yours! You seem to have the requisite interest in
keeping it running. You don't really have to do any coding just testing
and making sure that broken things get a unittest to keep it in working
order.
Well, and you have to attach your name to it like the rest of us scum. ;-)

> One final item that I noticed upon careful inspection: when the data
> come back to me in Perl, instead of, e.g., for an int "1", I'm getting
> "1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00", i.e. the full length is returned
> padded with zeros.

This one is particular to perl? I'm not sure if perl stores the length
separately like PHP does but if so we may be reporting the native length
but binding to a string....not sure.