freetds - Re: prerelease delayed by documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: prerelease delayed by documentation
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:46:14 -0400

Submitted a patch to sf with my changes, no access to CVS atm.

I removed the references to "swap broken dates/money". 1) Figuring out
what server version had what bug was a nightmare 2) it's TDS 4.2 only 3)
"emulate little endian" is the simpler fix.

> > I posted some stuff for compiling the Sybase python module,
> > i'd like to add that in too.
>
> Funny, I think I remember seeing that, but it's not in the UG. I'll check
> my patches directory and mailboxes tonight.
>
> > There's the 0x0f cancel packet problem, i think should be fixed before
> > 0.60final.
>
> I'm glad to hear you say that.
>
> From what I can tell, the "else if (marker == 0)" was added to
> tds_process_cancel to allow for the possibility that a dead socket returns
> no bytes. Removing that line would resurrect the "loop forever on dead
> socket" bug. It seems to me that anything expecting data from a socket has
> to distinguish between a packet with no data and a socket with no
> connection.
>
> For sure, we don't react to an 0x0f token intelligently; at best we ignore
> it. What should happen, I think: we should recognize the 0x0f as a cancel
> acknowledgement and record it somewhere as a TDS state, even if we don't use
> the information anywhere yet. Then, having dealt with the 0x0f packet, we
> keep looking for an 0x04 with the cancel bit set?

In retrospect, we didn't do a great job of considering this posibility.
C'est la vie.

> > What is the status on conversion? Any outstanding problems
> > there? (money?).
>
> Fixed AFAIK. Frediano fixed my major complaints on Friday. Haven't re-run
> my tests myself yet.
>
> > Is ODBC working with DBD::ODBC now? There was a
> > problem as I recall. Others?
>
> I don't plan to test ODBC.

I don't have the time. Maybe Eric will update us on its viability?