freetds - RE: pre2?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Eric Deutsch" <edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: pre2?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:05:16 -0700

Hi Brian, the relevant portion of /etc/odbc.ini is:

[mssql]
Description = Default ODBC connection to mssql
Driver = /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Servername = mssql
Database = testdb

My versions are:
- unixODBC-2.0.7
- DBD-ODBC-0.30

I tested `isql` (for the first time) and it does work! I can connect
and I can issue a query and get a result back (although there are some
issues there, too, but nevermind). Does that suggest a problem with the
Perl DBI or DBD::ODBC? I probably don't have the very latest ones of
those.

Does anyone know if there are minimum version of unixODBC, DBD::ODBC
required for the latest version of FreeTDS to work?

Thanks,
Eric

Server
> > 2000 using TDS 7.0, I used to be able to do some simple queries
like:

> > SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS 'Servername',@@VERSION AS 'Version'
> >
> > And get:
> >
> > MSSQL01 | Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.534 (Intel X86)
> > Nov 19 2001 13:23:50
> > Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation
> > Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 2)
> >
> > This works fine using FreeTDS 0.53-cvs2002-04-06. But under the
latest
> > from CVS (I'll call it FreeTDS 0.53-cvs2002-07-08), I get instead:
> >
> > Cannot connect to database
> > Error 08001 ([unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found,
and
> > no default driver specified (SQL-IM002)
> > [unixODBC]Statement option not implemented (SQL-08001)(DBD:
> > dbd_db_login/SQLSetConnectOption err=-1))
> >
> > I tried another version of FreeTDS I had hanging around,
> > 0.53-cvs2002-06-19, and that gives the same problem. So, sometime
> > between 2002-04-06 and 2002-06-19, I lost the ability to issue even
the
> > simplest query via DBD::ODBC. The error message is inscrutable to
me.
> > The two outputs where generated on the same machine with the same
> > odbc.ini, after doing a `make install` in the appropriately
versioned
> > directory so all other variables besides the FreeTDS code should
> > probably be unrelated. In case it's useful, all three source trees
were
> > built with:
> >
> > ./autogen.sh --with-tdsver=7.0 --with-unixodbc=/usr
> >
> > This is not a grave issue for me since I use DBD::Sybase mostly, but
I'm
> > interested in seeing DBD::ODBC work, too.
> >
> > If I can do any additional tests, please let me know!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eric

How