freetds - Re: ./configure freetds error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andre Costa <brblueser AT uol.com.br>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: bnix AT intranexus.com
  • Subject: Re: ./configure freetds error
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:51:48 -0300

Hi Bob,

everybody is a beginner sometime ;) At least, you're using Linux! =)

"Virtual memory exhausted!" ?!?! You *definitely* have a configuration
problem... you probably did not configure swap files the right way, but
this is beyond the scope of this mailing list...

Definitely, RPMs are the best way to go for beginners -- also, they keep
your RH box "organized" (everything is installed where it should be). For
more info on RPM, you might start at http://www.rpm.org or, more
specifically,
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/ref-guide/ch-rpm.html

You're right about RPM's role.

Since you're going for the RPM version, you can forget manual compilation
of FreeTDS (you can remove that dir you created at /usr/local -- ****
BEWARE OF FILES REMOVAL WHILE LOGGED AS root !!!! ****). Then, logged as
root user, you should do:

rpm -ivh [path-to-freetds-rpm]

BTW: you should also install the devel RPM for freeTDS, it's labeled "0.53
Headers" on the download page
(http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/freetds-devel-0.53-1.i386.rpm
). Download and install the same way you did for the main RPM.

I strongly suggest you get more used to using RPM, it will greately help
you keep your system organized. Also, you might consider having someone
with Linux knowledge review your installation, or even consider a
reinstall from scratch...

HTH

Best,

Andre