freetds - Re: ./configure freetds error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andre Costa <brblueser AT uol.com.br>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: bnix AT intranexus.com
  • Subject: Re: ./configure freetds error
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:11:05 -0300

Hi Bob,

glad to hear you're moving forward... but, you really shouldn't do it the
way you're doing -- unpacking and compiling stuff directly on /usr/local.

UNIX tarballs usually should be unpacked on a "staging area" (it could be
root's home dir, or some other dir specific for that, YMMV), and after
compilation runs successfully, the software will always provide an
'automatic' way of self-installing (usually it is 'make install').

NOTE: in order for the installation to go to the right (expected) place,
you most likely will have to provide adequate parameters to the
configuration scripts (for automake handled installations, './configure
--help' will give you the list of options).

So, to sum it all up: don't compile things directly on the destination
dirs (specially, don't rename package dirs -- you will be amazed how fast
you'll lose track of things). Compile them at a safe place, and use
package's own installation schemes. READMEs and INSTALLs are your best
friends...

HTH

Best,

Andre

PS: Since you're using RH 7.2, you really should consider using
pre-compiled RPMs. You can find them directly on the FreeTDS download
area.