freetds - RE: Image fields?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Image fields?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:35:23 -0500

Zara,

Ignorance is OK. Everyone knows something and no one knows everything.
Please take a another look through the User Guide and FAQ, though. There
are references to SQSH littered all over the the FreeTDS docs.

Microsoft ships a command line utility called "ISQL" as part of their client
tools. It uses db-lib to communicate with the server, whereas the Query
Analyzer uses ODBC. Usually, that distinction is unimportant, but sometimes
the differences surprise people.

Since you're new to MSSQL, you might have overlooked the @@textsize global
variable. You'll want to have a look through Books Online (ie, their docs)
for it. It controls how much of the image field is sent back at once, and
the default value is sometimes 2 GB!

See the FAQ question 7.1 (read "image" where it says "text", same
difference), and also this message:

Hope that helps.