freetds - Re: bypassing /etc/freetds.conf or interfaces file

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bypassing /etc/freetds.conf or interfaces file
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:54:51 -0500 (EST)

Ok, the non-portable (as in don't expect this to work on OpenClient or
MS's stuff), is:

Compile FreeTDS with the desired version using the --with-tdsver=x.x
configure flag. I'll assume this is for MS SQL, so let's say it's 7.0 for
arguments sake.

Now do everything like normal but use the DNS name of the host on which
the database lives as the server name. As long as the SQL Server is
listening on prot 1433, this will work.

If you are using Sybase or MS SQL is not on 1433 put in a call like this:

tds_set_port(con->tds_login, 4000);

just prior to calling ct_connect() where con is the pointer returned from
ct_con_alloc() and 4000 is the port number the server is listening at.

If you also need for some reason to change the TDS protocol version have a
look at tds_set_version() also in src/tds/login.c and make a similiar call
to it.

Changing the port number can also be done at runtime by using the TDSPORT
environment variable. Legal values are 4.2, 5.0, and 7.0.

Brian