freetds - Re: libtool error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: libtool error
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:12:40 -0500 (EST)

I've finally had enough time to track this all down.

When I upgraded to RH7.2 (yeah ext3), libtool became version 1.4.
Previously, it had been 1.3.5. The libtool.m4 macro that comes with 1.3.x
is substantially the same and will use the files in the build directory to
create a local libtool package. With version 1.4 however they decided to
shake things up a bit and one of the files (ltmain.sh/ltconfig...can't
remember which right off hand) is no longer needed. Long story short,
when 'aclocal' is run and copies libtool.m4 to aclocal.m4, it doesn't like
the old libtool files and we have our problem.

So, a few options come to my mind (there may be more).

1. upgrade to libtool 1.4 (along with other autotool packages). Unknown
effects on people with older tool chain.

2. Downgrade my local libtool to version 1.3.x. Other commiters would
need to do likewise.

3. Remove all generated files from CVS and force folks without the
autotools to either patch or wait for the nightly snapshot. (This option
has some strong proponents, and I'm beginning to understand why).

Option #3 would also reduce the number of revisions some files get
(Makefiles for instance).

I'm willing to go with the consensus of commiters on this one, so let
voice you opinion if ya got one.

Brian