freetds - Re: Mac OS X install directions / web pages / other help resources?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Frank Flynn <frank AT declan.com>
  • Subject: Re: Mac OS X install directions / web pages / other help resources?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:54:42 -0500

At 2:33 PM -0800 11/7/2001, Frank Flynn wrote:
Before I run the install script is there any place I can find some more
documentation? Perhaps information specific to OS X (assuming there are
issues specific to OS X).

Not really. The latest version from CVS compiles fine on OS X, and I'd imagine 0.53pre1 will, too.

I intend to use PHP on the web pages to connect - what will I have to do
beyond installing TDS to get PHP to be able to connect through TDS?

More than likely. I just installed PHP with mysql, postgresql, and frontbase support (freeTDS comes next, once I get my source tree up-to-date). I had to make .dylib files for each database library to get PHP to make install correctly.

That is the tricky part, though not that hard to do. Once I figure out exactly what has to be done for freeTDS, I plan to submit it to the distribution so that Mac OS X users automatically get a .dylib file instead of a .so.

The simplest thing to try would be to do an install of freeTDS and then try the folllowing:

cd /usr/local/freetds/lib

libtool -install_name /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib -dynamic -current_version 1.0.0 -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -dylib_file libtds.dylib:/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib -lz -lc -o libtds.dylib libtds.la /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a

libtool -install_name /usr/local/freetds/lib/libsybdb.dylib -dynamic -current_version 1.0.0 -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -dylib_file libsybdb.dylib:/usr/local/freetds/lib/libsybdb.dylib -lz -lc -o libsybdb.dylib libsybdb.la /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib

libtool -install_name /usr/local/freetds/lib/libct.dylib -dynamic -current_version 1.0.0 -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -dylib_file libct.dylib:/usr/local/freetds/lib/libct.dylib -lz -lc -o libct.dylib libct.la /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib

Based on what I've done with other database APIs, those should work. If they don't, then some additional compile flags will need to be added (-fno-common was needed for postgreSQL).

I'm planning on looking into this more and modifying freeTDS to do the right thing for Mac OS X.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin