freetds - RE: freetds and SQL server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: freetds and SQL server 2000
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:47:05 +0000

Thank you, Niky. Let me see if I can state the problem in my own words.

Niky Riga wrote:

> The Data in the database is in Greek and is in Unicode. When I used TDS 7.0
> all greek
> caracters where "corrupted". As I have already read in another article
> "..FreeTDS 7.0
> presents a charset encoding problem, when using MS SQL server (and I
> believe other sql
> servers too) from PHP.
>
> All non ascii national characters (which codes a greater than 127) become
> corrupt when
> updating the SQL server. Retrieving properly stored national characters
> from SQL
> server does not work well too.
> The problem is, that all the non ascii characters are converted to Unicode
> by TDS."

So, what you're saying, in a way, is that FreeTDS is not 8-bit clean? That
is, it passes
7-bit characters, but "translates" (badly) character values over 127 to
nonsense unicode
values? I just want to see if I have this straight.

> Another thing if instead of ntext I use text, then I can retrieve the data
> but the
> last character is lost.

That's fixed in the CVS version, IIRC.

If I've got this right, then all you need is a clean pipe, no translation at
all. The
pipe can be 8- or 16- bit (Ascii or Unicode), it doesn't really matter to
you, as long as
the data are passed cleanly.

Yes?

Thanks again for your help. Brian clearly wants to fix this, and if you help
steer it's
a sure bet he will.