freetds - RE: freetds and SQL server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: freetds and SQL server 2000
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:40:13 -0400

By using TDS 4.2, you're identifying yourself to SQL Server 2000 as an old
client, which is why it calls you a "DB-Library" client. In truth, whether
you use Db-lib or ODBC, you're a TDS client by the time you show up at the
server's door, but you'd never know that from their stupid message.

What the message is telling you: Don't send Unicode while you're relying on
TDS 4.2. If you want Unicode, you want TDS 7.0.

Can you get what you need done with Ascii, or do you need Unicode? If you
need Unicode, what exactly is the "problem with ASCII characters with code >
127"?

--jkl