freetds - Re: TDS 4.[26] results

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <gray AT voicenet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TDS 4.[26] results
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:08:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Daniel Bruce Lynes wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Scott C. Gray wrote:
>
> > As far as I can tell, the logic for dealing with results
> > from TDS 4.2 and 4.6 is broken. For me, even 'select 1'
> > doesn't work.
>
> > The main issue seems to be that, there is logic in parsing
> > the TDS_COL_NAME_TOKEN that excepts the first two bytes of
> > the token to be the # of bytes to follow when, in fact, it
> > seems to be the # of columns to follow.
>
> Aha! So I'm not the only one having this problem? I figured
> because I didn't see any complaints about it in the mailing
> list that the problem must lie in the ODBC code.
> I too, am using ASE 11.9.2, under Linux glibc2. And the logic
> seemed to be all SOL for the tokens when I'm attempting to bind
> the columns.

Well, this problem is _only_ when talking TDS 4.2 or 4.6 to
ASE. So if you are using TDS 5.0 (which you should be, talking
to 11.9.2), then what I am talking about doesn't even come
into play and you are experiencing a different problem.

As a test, I switched the parser for TDS_COL_NAME_TOKEN to
treat the first two bytes in the token as the # of columns
and connected to ASE 11.9.2 and MS SQL 7.0 using TDS 4.2
and everything worked fine, so I think that I correct in
my assumption.

> If you would like, I can send you what I've determined about
> the packet formats for ASE 11.9.2.

I think I have most major packets working with the exception
of those surrounding bulk operations, dynamic sql, and cursors,
and cursors and dynamic sql are not at the top of my list of
things to do.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray <gray AT voicenet.com> "my keybard is brken"
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html