freetds - Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??
  • Date: 11 Apr 2000 15:03:02 +0200

Hi Stefanos

SK> The fact that I get strings correctly back from SQL Server when
SK> the text contains characters from different code pages makes me
SK> believe that the jdbc driver does not handle cha and nchar the
SK> same way.

Actually when I said

1. the JDBC driver doesn't know the columns are nchars because the SQL
Server doesn't say so

and that

2. the JDBC driver doesn't treat nchar columns differently

I wasn't guessing but looking at the source code and even stepping
some tests through the debugger.

If your nchar and nvarchar columns work, this is great news but the
one responsible for it is SQL Server. If converting your ntext columns
to text doesn't work the same way, it's a pitty and I don't know why
it doesn't work this time.

Stefan