freetds - Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??
  • Date: 10 Apr 2000 17:35:40 +0200

SK> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

SK> If I (or anyone) use simple varchar/char/text columns, SQL Server
SK> uses 8bit per character.

Believe me Stefanos, I know what you are talking about.

And as to "in Latin character world (english)" I'm german and do
heavily rely on freetds_jdbc to retrieve my umlauts correctly. Then
again those are in latin-1 so I'm probably part of the latin character
world.

Actually the String returned to you by ResultSet.getString() is the
same for nchar and for char columns as the JDBC driver doesn't even
know it's an nchar column.

Taking this last thing into account (freetds_jdbc doesn't know about
nchar) and the fact that it works for you, somebody is making the
right conversion for you - SQL Server or Java. This is why I suggested
to try the ordinary TEXT type, maybe it will also work automagically.

SK> I'm happy that I have this minimal but still uncomplete
SK> functionality from the freeTDS project

As I've said before my suggestions are in no way meant as the final
solution to this problem. The final solution should be a JDBC driver
that supports TDS 7.0.

Given the fact that the C libs already support it this may well
happen - but just don't hold your breath.

Stefan