freetds - Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc + SQLServer 7 + Exception + DB-Library ??
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

On 11 Apr 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> BB> Patching in a TDS 7 login seems to be pretty simple, ditto for
> BB> the TDS 7 result packet, but string handling is another story.
>
> Shouldn't be too difficult as Java can do most of the Unicode stuff
> without any effort from the programmers side. Tell it which encoding a
> chunk of bytes uses and it will generate the correct Unicode String.
>
> What would be the other side effects of using a TDS 7 login? What
> would a Sybase DB do with it? What else would need to be changed?

Sybase will simply assume garbage on the port and close the connection. So,
you'd want to make it a property or something. TDS 4.2 would definately be
the default still.

> I know from last weeks conversation we would get VARCHARs with more
> than 255 chars.

These are the only two that I have found to be present in TDS 7 vs. 4.2.
I've mentioned before MS did a decent job extending the protocol in a mostly
compatible way.

> Stefan

Brian