freetds - Re: via PHP to Microsoft SQL Server V7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: richard AT iguana.co.nz
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: via PHP to Microsoft SQL Server V7.0
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:34:43 +1100 (EST)

> Well, I've got a connection going out, but the other end drops it.
> Any ideas for the possible causes? Can the TDS protocol be echoed by a
> TCP relay? Or does it contain the IP address of the client?
>
> (Note: I do not administer the other end, and I am doing this access
> without specific permission. I do have the ability to access their
> database via a client they provide, but it only runs on Microsoft
> Windows so I end up using a remote window session to get at it. My task
> is to provide a platform independent web interface to the data on the
> server.)
>
> Configuration: nestor is a 486/100 running the php3 and freetds code.
> idda is a relaying host, accepting connections on port 1433 and
> transferring them to the actual Microsoft SQL Server over a tunnel
> running on 56k modem.
>
> When the php script runs, it stalls within the sybase_connect() while
> the connection is made. However the connection is closed by the server,
> and the message "Unknown marker: 0!!" is displayed. The php script
> stalls at this point. Attaching gdb to the process shows the following
> stack trace;

The concept of the Unknown market: 0!! error has been plaguing this lib
for a while now :) If I could narrow down further exactly what is causing
it I would, as it is I've had to remove the line that prints that
statement and replace it with a 1 second sleep in order to stop my httpd
log files from filling up to 2gb each every day (we take a lot of hits)

However I haven't noticed it impair the functionality of our site in any
way, so..I'm fairly unsure exactly what those messages are about. Sorry I
can't be more help, if I do manage to catch a program that consistently
generates them I'll forward it on.

Richard