freetds - Re: DBD::Sybase main.t crash

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase main.t crash
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:35:58 -0400 (EDT)

There was something posted regarding TDS 5.0 support not working. I hadn't
realized that 5.0 had ever worked against SQL server. It does make sense
though, if SQL Server accepts the 5.0 login packet, which is mostly the
same except the additional capabilities packet. From there on out the
client sends the same thing in both 4.2 and 5.0 and a well written 5.0
library should surely accept 4.2 tokens and try to make sense of them.
The basic difference between the two (aside from capabilities) is a new
result token stream in 5.0 and the addition of EED messages instead of
separate msg/err token streams. We've had a number of people using freetds
against SQL 7.0, and I haven't heard many complaints, although perhaps
their usage is relatively simple.

Good info though, and it goes to show why even though Sybase provides
binary-only client libs for x86 linux, it's just not good enough. By the
way, a (perhaps) interesting historical note. I started all this because
(well, aside from just basic curiosity that is)...because I had some dblib
code I wanted to try out on my linux box. Had Sybase made both dblib as
well as ctlib available, this project probably never would have happened.

Brian