corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] [biblical-studies] I cor 16:22

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Mitternacht Dieter <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>, Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] [biblical-studies] I cor 16:22
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 14:40:22 -0400

Mitternacht Dieter wrote:

According to Georg Schnedermanns commentary on 1 Cor, both Luther and Calvin considered maranatha to be a corrupt transcription of the aramaic /muḥram môt'/ ("verbannt zum Tode").
Dieter Mitternacht
Lund University

Hi, I've been doing some further checking and it is quite so that Calvin and Luther, along with Bullinger and Capito and Bibliander all saw it that way. Quite interesting that of all the insights passed on from the Reformers, this one seems to have slipped between the cracks (by and large).

Best

Jim

--
Jim West, ThD