corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] [biblical-studies] I cor 16:22

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com, corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] [biblical-studies] I cor 16:22
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 12:42:52 -0400

Further, this bit from TDNT

It is found more frequently in later ecclesiastical use, often with ἀνάθεμα, to give weight to a solemn curse. There is always quotation from, or allusion to, 1 C. 16:22. Thus in a Christian burial inscr. from Salamis (either 4th or 5th cent., CIG, IV, 9303) we read: (Whoever lays another corpse in this grave between the two who rest here) … ἀνάθεμα ἤτω· μαραναθάν. Cf. also the canon of the Fourth Council of Toledo (633 a.d.): qui contra hanc nostram definitionem praesumpserit, anathema maranatha hoc est, perditio in adventu domini sit (can. 75).

So 'maranatha' does seem to have functioned as a curse. That's quite contrary to the usual explanation.

--
Jim West, ThD