corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's diatribe against Peter

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tiona AT comcast.net
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's diatribe against Peter
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 16:55:02 +0000

Sorry listers for adding to this thread so late, but I have been out of touch for the last two weeks.

I do not expect responses to this, but inasmuch as Paul is prone to inserting thoughts in the middle of other ideas, is it possible verses 11-14 are to be grouped together?  If Peter's error has nothing to do with food, then Paul is clearly chastising him for how he is treating the gentile converts.  This would seem to be more in line with the running argument between the school of Hillel and the school of Shamai with regard to the justification of the gentiles.  Since Peter leans toward the Shamai side and Paul to the Hillel side, these kinds of arguments seem inevitable.

Any convert that came in contact with Jews would have to be very aware of the differing views of the two schools, so maybe Paul is once again just demonstrating which side of the fence he is on.

Thanks for considering.
Jeff

--
Jeffrey L Tiona