corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] ...And From Blood

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] ...And From Blood
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:27:02 -0400

RUSSELL BOOTH wrote:

Body and blood symbolism associated with the Eucharist cannot be traced to the historical Jesus through Paul or through the disciples of Jesus using commonly accepted historical-critical methods. Therefore, body and blood symbolism associated with the Eucharist originated with Paul.

Setting faith aside, how would one falsify this proposition?

Hi- simple- prove the proposition. That is, you have the burden of demonstrating that the "take - eat- this is my body" passages in the Synoptics and the astonishing Johannine "eat my flesh and drink my blood" come from Paul! Exactly how would you propose to show that?

Best

Jim

--
Jim West, ThD