corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:40:21 -0800 (PST)

I have not responded because I cannot really take such double naming
seriously in the Greco-Roman
world. Itwould be highly interesting for Richard fellows to submit his
Timothy=Titus hypothesis to
the classics list. I suspect it would be heartily rejected.

Edgar Krentz

--- "Matthew A. Eby" <ebymatt AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have subscribed to this list for nearly five years now, and have seen
> Richard
> Fellows' thesis on Titus-Timothy raised on numerous occasions during this
> time
> (going back, at least, to discussions also involving Epaphras=Epaphroditus
> and
> Loukas=Loukios around 6-17-01 and 7-19-01, respectively). Each time,
> however, I
> have been surprised at how few members get involved in the fray. Shall I
> assume
> that the silence is indicative of an emerging consensus? Lack of interest?
> Just
> too busy?
>
> Of course, Richard has published this thesis (which he is not the first to
> argue, see his footnotes) in a 2001 article entitled "Was Titus Timothy?"
> (_JSNT_ 81): 33-58. I, for one, took it with a grain of salt then, and I
> still
> do now. However, I do think it has a lot going for it, and I presented it
> (even
> argued it!) this semester in a grad-level course on 2 Corinthians (although
> disagree with Richard on not a few details regarding Paul's itinerary and
> correspondence with Corinth).
>
> What say ye? Is the jury still out? I'd like to hear from a few who have
> actually thought through these issues in any detail.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Matthew A. Eby
> Ph.D. Student and Research Fellow
> Wheaton College Graduate School

=====
Edgar and Becky Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Prof. of New Testaament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street
Chicago, IL 60615
ekrentz AT sbcglobal.net
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow older, constantly learning many things"[Solon Of Athens]