corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "William Arnal" <warnal AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:46:24 -0600

Matthew Eby wrote:

What say ye? Is the jury still out? I'd like to hear from a few who have
actually thought through these issues in any detail.

Well, actually, I'm NOT one of those persons, and in fact I just joined this particular list and have been surprised by the volume of correspondence on this particular thesis. But one possibility for the fairly narrow demographic of folks contributing to the thread MIGHT be relevance. That is: who cares? So MY question is -- and it's a genuine, not rhetorical, question -- what does such a conclusion (i.e., that Timothy was/was not Titus) teach us? What do we learn about Paul or early Christianity or religion in general thereby? Or is the matter of purely antiquarian concern? Why do those who care about this care?

regards,
Bill
William Arnal
University of Regina