corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert Kraft <kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:41:11 -0500 (EST)

As a tangent to the current thread on Romans 1-2, I'm wondering why recent
translations of Rom 2.22 seem to have moved to a highly etymological
translation
in preferring "rob temples" to the older KJV (etc) "commit sacrilege"? Do we
have much evidence of Jews/Judeans literally robbing temple treasuries or
desecrating temple images and sites? LJS gives both meanings, as does BAGD
(with
an unexplained preference for the former). Ed Krentz did an article on this in
1990, which I haven't read (or at least, don't recall the details of), but
which
presumably (judging from the BAGD listing) argues for the more idiomatic "act
irreverently" or the like. That also seems more likely to me, without having
done much homework on the issue.

My question, amid all that rambling, is whether the claim that in Paul's time
there were reports or traditions about Jewish desecration of temples
(presumably pagan) can be sustained. (Nevermind that the text might not be
making such an actual claim; just run, for the sake of investigation, with
the
assumption that it is actually calling some Judeans/Jews "temple-robbers" in
some sense of the Greek term.)

Bob

kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu