corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Don Garlington <dongarlington AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:46:45 -0800 (PST)

Dear Prof. Kraft,

I have defended the older translation of hierosulein,
actually following Cranfield and others, in a piece
entitled "HIEROSULEIN and the Idolatry of Israel
(Romans 2.22)," NTS 36 (1990): 142-51. My thesis was
that Paul has in view the "sacrilege" of idolatry,
i.e., the idolatry of elevating the Torah to a
position of unwarranted devotion. This line is taken
up and seconded by Fitzmyer, Romans, 318.

Best regards,

Don
Tyndale Seminary, Toronto