corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Romans 1-2: Logos/Christos as Soter

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Brand" <jbrand AT gvsd.mb.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Romans 1-2: Logos/Christos as Soter
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:02:43 -0600

Thanks, Ed. I'm not particularly worried about saving face (i.e.
avoiding embarassment) and have had many dialogues with those
conversant with Toynbee even though much of what he posits has become
outdated. I would enjoy looking at your bibliography.

Toynbee's basic idea that the historical unit under investigation is
a 'civilization' rather than a 'state' is sound. It is anachronistic
to assume that we are dealing with an amphictony of loosely allied
city-states when we are talking about the Roman Republic forged out
of a triumvirate by Augustus. However, I welcome more direct
criticism of this idea.

Regards,

John Brand
B.A. (Providence College, 1980)