corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:04:35 +1100

Runar M. Thorsteinsson wrote:

Note, however, that the main concern of Ant. 18.81-84 is really not "temple
robbery", but the deception and rip-off conducted by "a complete scoundrel"
against a high-ranking Roman matron (a proselyte), whose husband was a
consular and a friend of emperor Tiberius.
(Note also, in that light, that Josephus does not speak of this incidence as
an act of hierosylein; neither the verb nor its cognates occur in the text.)

Thank you, Runar. Yes, indeed. However, my point was not etymological but historical. In both Ant. 18.81-84 and Rom 2:17-22 we read an extended criticism of would-be rabbis teaching Gentiles the Torah in Rome and then desecrating/robbing a temple. If historical, the rumour retold in Antiquities must have been very public, making a typological reference to such events in Rom 2:22 at least possible. That is all I was saying.
Kind regards,
John

Dr. John Dickson
Department of Ancient History