corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Liberating Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeff Krantz @ optonline.net" <jkrantz AT optonline.net>
  • To: crhutson AT salisbury.net, Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Liberating Paul
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:51:59 -0500

Listers,

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, so I hope I'm not offering
something already pointed out by someone else, but the "disagreeable" nature
of the questioned verses (which I accept as original) lasts only until one
reads either "Let the Women Speak In Church" (David Odell-Scott, Biblical
Theology Bulletin, 13, 1983) or "Paul's Understanding of the Holy Spirit"
(Charles Talbert, can't dig up the citation at the moment) both of which
argue from different perspectives that Paul here quotes back to the
Corinthians from their own letter, and then goes on to contradict them.
Paul's pattern of making reference to the letter from the Corinthians and
then opposing what he cites is present elsewhere in 1 Cor, and both the
grammar of the sentence and it's location within the larger argument about
pneumatic gifts support this reading.

It is regrettable that the androcentric, ecclesial reading of this text has
so thoroughly determined our understanding of its meaning that these two
articles have been so thoroughly ignored.

Peace,

Fr. Jeff Krantz
Mercer School of Theology
http://www.preachingpeace.org