corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Liberating Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Liberating Paul
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:10:51 -0500

Daniel,

In his commentary, Fee makes as strong a case as can be made for the
interpolation theory.

But it is not a persuasive theory. There is no manuscript support for
omitting 34-35. Curt Niccum shows this clearly. The case for taking all of
33b-36 as an interpolation is even more strained, since in the mss only 34-35
are moved after v. 40. V. 33b does not travel with 34-35 in the mss variants.
We should read 33b as the end of the thought begun in 33a. The KJV gets the
punctuation right on v. 33.

The case for treating 34-35 as an interpolation is highly tenuous, and that
for treating 33b-36 as an interpolation is simply special pleading on the
part of those who don't want to admit that Paul said such a thing. Besides,
claiming that this is an interpolation doesn't solve the problem about
women's roles in the churches, because this is still the canonical text.

We need to accept that Paul wrote 34-35, and we need to see that, starting in
14:26, he gave the same instructions "let them be silent" also regarding
prophets and tongue speakers. Paul had no intention here of banning prophecy
or glossolalia in all congregations for all time. He recognizes in 11:2-16
that women do prophesy in Corinth, and he does not criticize that. And he
would like for all the Corinthians to prophesy and to speak in tongues (14:1,
5). So his recommendation regarding women in 34-35 is consistent with his
recommendations regarding prophets and tongue speakers in 14:26-33. He is
addressing a local problem, not laying down a general mandate for all times
and places.

The interpolation theory regarding 14:34-35 will only convince the choir. It
will not stand up to scrutiny and so, as a practical matter, it is not useful
for persuading traditional patriarchalists. We need stronger arguments than
that in favor of ordaining women.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Chris

Christopher R. Hutson