corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: 2 Cor 3:17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT timgallant.org>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: 2 Cor 3:17
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:01:53 -0700

> At 05:18 PM 1/25/04 +0000, you wrote:
> >2 Cor 3:17 reads in part hO DE KURIOS TO PNEUMA ESTIN. The
> >NRSV translates this as "Now the Lord is the Spirit". Is "the Spirit"
the
> >Father, Son, Holy Spirit or something else entirely?
>
> Noel, you always have such interesting questions!
>
> Ralph Martin translates "'The Lord' represents the Spirit; and wherever
the
> Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom". His capitalization of the term
> pneuma indicates he views it as The Holy Spirit (the third member of the
> Trinity). Though here it focuses more on action than personhood.
>
> For myself- here's how I would translate it: "Now then, the Lord IS the
> Spirit. This means that wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there also is
> freedom"

I think Hafemann does a good job with this passage in his book on 2
Corinthians 2, _Paul, Moses, and the History of Israel_. He points out that
in the context, Moses was meeting with Yahweh at the tent of meeting, and
coming out with his face glorified. Paul point is that Yahweh is the Spirit
in the midst of the Christians; this is the basis for the reality of the new
covenant, that Christians are thereby changed from glory to glory.

tim