corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: 2 Cor 3:17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: 2 Cor 3:17
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:45:06 -0500

At 05:18 PM 1/25/04 +0000, you wrote:
>2 Cor 3:17 reads in part hO DE KURIOS TO PNEUMA ESTIN. The
>NRSV translates this as "Now the Lord is the Spirit". Is "the Spirit" the
>Father, Son, Holy Spirit or something else entirely?

Noel, you always have such interesting questions!

Ralph Martin translates "'The Lord' represents the Spirit; and wherever the
Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom". His capitalization of the term
pneuma indicates he views it as The Holy Spirit (the third member of the
Trinity). Though here it focuses more on action than personhood.

For myself- here's how I would translate it: "Now then, the Lord IS the
Spirit. This means that wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there also is
freedom"

Jim

Dr Jim West
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church