corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: 2 Cor 3:17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Noel Fitzpatrick" <njfitzpatrick AT eircom.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: 2 Cor 3:17
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:18:03 -0000

2 Cor 3:17 reads in part hO DE KURIOS TO PNEUMA ESTIN. The
NRSV translates this as "Now the Lord is the Spirit". Is "the Spirit" the
Father, Son, Holy Spirit or something else entirely?

An article in the Catholic Biblical Quarterly (CBQ, 34 (1972) 467)
quotes a 1915 article by Alfred Plummer,which noted that this "is a
passage, about the exact meaning of which we must be content to
remain in doubt".

I have studied this problem recently with little success. I would
appreciate hearing what is considered to be the modern view of whom
the Spirit/spirit is in this verse.

Regards,

Noel Fitzpatrick.
Noel Fitzpatrick