corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul preach in synagogues?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul preach in synagogues?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:07:48 -0800

Frank Hughes wrote:
<<Hey, I thought these were questions for Paul, not for the writer of Acts!

I got the idea from Galatians 1:16, where Paul says that the purpose of God's revelation to him of Jesus was "that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles.">>

Frank, the points that I raised are all either from Paul, or at least supported by Paul's letters. In any case, the evidence does not permit us to dismiss Acts lightly. It would be instructive if you could give your own interpretation of why Paul submitted to the 39 lashes. Also, how do you understand the account of Timothy's circumcision? And how do you understand the account of Crispus, the synagogue ruler?

Given e.g. 1 Cor 9:20 "to the Jews I became a Jew to win Jews", it seems certain that Paul preached to Jews. So I'm unclear about what you are suggesting, Frank. Are you suggesting that Paul preached to Jews, but not in synagogues. If so, why?

Richard.