corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Why was Hebrews ever thought to be by Paul?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sdblack AT telus.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Why was Hebrews ever thought to be by Paul?
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 08:27:29 -0700

Dave Wrote...
Since it really requires a familiarity with the other Paulines to be
understood completely...

Dave, why do you think that Hebrews would only make sense if one had some "familiarity with the other Paulines"? I haven't thought this in the past - am I missing something?

On a related - but also unrelated note - Usually Hebrews is dated late-ish - but I have wondered at the lack of mention of the destruction of the temple in it. As I follow the argument as presented by its author - it seems like it would have been a powerful means to further his/hers aims in the letter. More so than any where else in the NT - as I see it. His flow of "logic" "calls out" for an explicit mention of the temple - and because this is not to be found - it makes me wonder if the temple had not yet been destroyed when it was written - making it earlier than usually thought.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

The lion and the calf shall lie down together
but the calf won't get much sleep.
-Woody Allen