corpus-paul - Re: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:26:34 -0700

Bob MacDonald wrote:

Bob: I don't see any connection between Galatians 2:11 and the Jerusalem
council of Acts 15.
If the council had sent the letter from the apostles (Acts 15:23-29), I
think Paul would have appealed to it in Galatians. This is too long a topic
for the current window.

This has for a long time seemed to me to be a very important point, one
that appears to get overlooked. Acts 15:23-29 gives us the text of "the
decrees that had been decided on by the apostles and elders in Jerusalem
for the Gentile believers" (Acts 16:4) that were then delivered by Paul
and Silas to "every town where we proclaimed the word of the Lord" (Acts
15:36). Therefore, IMHO the best explanation for Paul not mentioning
these decrees in Galatians is simply that Galatians pre-dates the decrees!
Any more complicated explanation is, I believe, unnecessary.

Dave Inglis

How about the possibility that Paul simply didn't like the decrees, and did not want to actively support them or spread them in his churches. This is certainly not a "complicated explanation", and is in fact quite straightforward.

As an aside, complicated explanations are not to be discarded too unduly. It is true that the more complicated a theory is the more uncertain it becomes, yet as we all know - history is in fact often VERY complicated.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS