corpus-paul - Re: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:15:36 +0100

Eric Zuesse wrote:

But doesn't Exodus have vastly higher authority for Jews than Daniel, on
> account of Exodus being Pentateuchal and Daniel not?

Daniel was renowned for his strict observance of Torah law, for which he was
prepared to sacrifice his life. He was well aware of the text of Exodus,
but knew that this did not prevent him from eating with the uncircumcised
provided that he ate vegetarian food. I regard your misunderstanding of
Exodus 12:48 as an elementary error, which you should certainly eliminate
from your projected book. This verse prohibits sharing with the
uncircumcised in a meal that took place once a year in Temple times: the
eating of the Passover sacrifice. After the destruction of the Temple in 70
CE even this meal ceased to be eaten except in symbolic form. I would also
point out that the late Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom took part
regularly in State banquets where he was provided with kosher food. The
same practice is followed by his successor Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, and
if you enquire you will find that Orthodox rabbis in the USA also attend
State banquets if provided with kosher food. There is nothing in Exodus
that prohibits this.
As for Peter's withdrawal from the meal at Antioch, this may possibly
have been because he discovered that the meal was Eucharistic in character.
As an observant Jew, he could not partake in the Eucharist, any more than
observant Jews today take part in the Mass. Many scholars now agree (on the
evidence of Acts and the Didache) that the Jerusalem Church did not practise
the Eucharist, which they regarded as an unacceptable imitation of
mystery-religion meals. If Peter withdrew for this reason, this has nothing
whatever to do with Exodus 12:48.

Hyam Maccoby

_________

Dr.Hyam Maccoby