corpus-paul - Re: Doherty Debate

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Eric Zuesse" <cettel AT shoreham.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Doherty Debate
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:04:42 -0400

RE: Zeba Crook's assumption that Jesus did not exist:

Proving a negative can be done only if all evidence for the positive is
dismantled/disproven. The Jesus-didn't-exist theorists fail to come close to
doing that.

Especially, they fail to demonstrate that Paul's references to Jesus, which
were stated by Paul in letters he wrote to Jesus-followers within two
decades of this presumed man's death, were referring to a person who had
never even existed. If Jesus had not existed at all, then it is hardly
likely that those Pauline references to him would have possessed any
credibility among those readers in that era.

To say that Paul distorted Jesus can be taken seriously. To say that Jesus
did not exist at all, simply cannot.

To say that Paul picked up on an existing religious organization founded by
a historical Jesus, and exploited that movement for his own purposes, so as
to replace it with his own, can certainly be taken seriously. To say that
Paul invented even that movement's very existence, and did not replace it
but instead created it entirely out of his imagination, cannot.

Eric Zuesse
cettel AT shoreham.net

Eric Zuesse