corpus-paul - Re: Doherty Debate

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: CoH61PA AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Doherty Debate
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:38:57 EDT

(Sigh)
Is this neccessary?
I have no wish to engage in personalities or ad hominems. To say I can't
think of any objections is unwarranted. I simply threw out the book to hear
what others have to say. It is true I said I do not accept the thesis. My
reasons are hardly theological though.

I think Doherty must engage in "special pleading" when it comes to certain
Pauline passages that would sink his thesis. Galations 4:4 is a case in
point. "Born of a woman, born under the law"...the best reading of that is
that Jesus was a Jewish human being in my opinion. Doherty goes onto say
that Jesus was mythical, but came down for a short period of time to earth in
order to justify that passage. I think that is a hard sell.

The easier explanation is that there was somebody, that was killed and Paul
took the religion in a whole new direction...

By the way, I am at best an agnostic, so despite the notion that you are
privy to my theological ideas, I really have no overarching desire to defend
orthodox Christianity, and I certainly do not believe Jesus was divine in any
sense of the word.

That is all, I will talk about things, but I would prefer we could do it
without questioning people's motives.

Thank you,
Mike Burkhimer