corpus-paul - Re: Prison in Ephesus?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Prison in Ephesus?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:02:22 -0700

Dave Inglis wrote...
[...]Many people have noted the similarities between
Colossians and Ephesians, and have suggested that one is a partial copy of
the other (which actually very strongly suggests that at least one of
these letters is from Paul, since it is unlikely that someone else would
copy from a forgery).

How would someone back then know that it was a forgery?

Both were obviously intended to persuade(/deceive?) readers that Paul was the author.
Whoever wrote Ephesians (which I think is the "copy") probably believed (incorrectly, in my assessment) that Colossians WAS written by Paul.

--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS